the legend of St Patrick

17-03-2005
hi! today it's St Patrick's day and i want to tell you his legend.

THE LEGEND OF ST PATRICK

Maewyn was a young Christian who lived in Scotland. When he was sixteen, he was captured by Irish pirates. The pirates sold him as a slave.
The Irish were not Christians. After six years working for an Irish master, Maewyn was able to run away and leave Ireland. He vowed he would come back to Ireland some day and teach the Christian religion to the Irish people.
Maewyn became a priest in the Christian church. Later he became a bishop. In the year 431, the Pope gave him the name Patricius (Patrick). The Pope sent him to Ireland. "Take Christianity to Ireland", said the Pope.
Patrick went into each town in Ireland. A man walked in front of him, beating on drums. The drums announced that Patrick was coming into the town.
Patrick was very brave. He faced many dangers. The Irish threw stones at him. They put him into prison. But he go out. And he never gave up.
He taught people about Jesus Christ. The people became Christians. He baptized them. He started schools and churches.
An important idea of Christianity is that there are three parts of God in one : the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. The Irish people couldn't understand how three could be the same as one. So Patrick used the shamrock, he showed how the three parts made up the whole.
Patrick worked in Ireland for forty years. He died on March 17, 493. Many years later, the church made him a Saint.
There are many legends of miracles that St Patrick did. He healed sick people. Some legends tell that he healed dead people too. One story tells that he made snow burn. Another story tells that St Patrick chased all the snakes out of Ireland by beating on his drum. There are no snakes in Ireland today.

that's all! bye struppi

legends

17-06-2005
another legend maybe? I love that!!! I think it's good for cultural knowledge.
I'd like to know more about Merlin and his wife, the fairy...
Répondre